Updated: Mar 12
I can't tell you anything that will absolutely change the labor and delivery game for you, but I've come up with a list of the things I believed helped me get through a natural labor and delivery.
1. Attend a childbirth preparation class. I know it sounds ridiculous in the age of the internet, but this will give you the base knowledge you need to understand what is going on.
2. Make a plan, but with that it's also important to remain flexible because birth is always going to surprise you!
3. Find alternative ways to deal with the pain. This is where a birth doula can really help you, we have all sorts of tricks to help get through contractions. Explore touch, different birthing positions, scents, etc.
4. Stay active and healthy throughout pregnancy. It might be the last thing you want to do some days, but it will be a game changer! Pregnancy is a marathon not a sprint, build your endurance now
5. Stay mobile and active while in labor, gravity is your friend!
6. If your water doesn't break before you arrive to the hospital, wait to have it broken or don'thave it broken at all. Having your water broken is not necessary (most of the time). Make sure to ask your doctor "Why do you want to break my water?" "What are the benefits of breaking my water?" "What happens if I don't break my water?"